Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Reading Notes Three

I have been a pc/windows user all of my life and after reading all of the readings for week 3 i was not only reassured that i have been making the right choice all along, but very glad to have been doing so. The information about Linux was dry but enlightening as to the nature of this type of software. I would never have been successful at using this particular type of software as i believe that programming must be a gift for some people. My brother is a very talented programmer and quite adept with anything technical concerning computers. So thinking i could surely accomplish the same thing, when i first started community college i tryed my hand at a computer related degree and very quickly changed my major after taking a class called Visual Basic. So if Linux is based on actually writing and manipulating computer code i would have been a sunken ship all along. As far as Mac goes...well lets just put it mildly and say that i hate it. (especially those condescending mac vs pc commercials) I had had limited exposure to macintosh products in middle school and high school, but after being exposed to Windows i immediatly made the switch and never looked back, except once. Well years went by and Microsoft dominated the field and then all of a sudden a bombardment from Apple. When i was doing my undergrad work the media dept at my university had equipped itself with Macs, most of which were switchable to Windows platforms. I gave mac its last chance and it took a minute amount of time to realize that everytime i logged onto those computers i needed to just switch to the Windows side. Lastly concerning the blog article about vista and xp...when i got my laptop i was offered the option to choose either vista or xp. I opted to go with xp since i felt that vista was entirely too new to be bug free enough to use without having a constant headache from it. So i was most pleased to see that service packs and all kinds of help will be available for xp until 2014. And while vista may be running much better now than ever, i'm quite content to keep on running on my ole trusty XP.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Totally agree with your comment on "those condescending Mac vs. Windows commercials. I love my laptop with my new Vista (glad your XP is working for you!) and although I must admit I feel very uncool when I watch the commercials, I have been very, very happy with my setup. I think that it depends on what you need to use it for, maybe that makes a difference. Kudos to your brother and his programming skills, I would be along side you in the sinking ship!