Friday, September 26, 2008

Reading Notes Six

Well the first wikipedia article on local area networks actually made decent sense to me for a change in comparison to some of our other readings. It made it a little easier to understand how computers comminucate with one another in small areas, and although it didnt specifically explain what a WAN was, I actually deduced on my own that it pertained to coverage over a huge area such as a city.
Then when I read the other wikipedia article on computer networks in general, I was pleased to find that I was right. I found all the different types of networks to be a little daunting simply because there are so many...LAN, CAN, WAN, GAN etc.. Then as the article progressed I began to get a little muddled on some things. Like what is Intranet really? Is it the internet but only shared among a few computers? If so what is the point of that? And even further into the article I got more confused, not really sure Im clear on how hubs, bridges, or switches work. But I think I got the general concept behind routers.
Last I watched the youtube video and was reassured that I had understood the majority of the info I read about the networks. One thing the guy said in the video that I forgot to mention when I made comments about the articles was what the heck is Ethernet? I know it was briefly covered, but I still dont get it!
I found the RFID article the most interesting by far. I think it's a great idea for libraries to look into. But I do think that privacy issues need to taken into consideration and also poses another finacial hurdle for libraries to have to get over. But that's the way the game is played, if libraries are going to stay competitive in the information profession, they have to bite the bullet and figure out how to keep up with technological advances.

No comments: