Friday, September 12, 2008

Reading Notes Four

As far as the Wikipedia Database article is concerned, I think i vaguely understood the material being discussed. It's not that it was difficultly worded, I just think for some of this infomation I need enplanation/examples from the Prof. In the small section titled Relational Operations, it actually exemplified how a query is used to retrieve articles from Wikipedia and that helped me make a little more sense of how the structure of databases are built. Other than that I dont really know what to say about this topic except that I hope Dr. He gives somes visual examples or something next week to perhaps make things a bit clearer for me. Metadata. I had heard the word a few times before and thought that was just a fancy word for description. And after I read that it generally means data about data, I still thought it meant description. But as the artivle progressed I began to understand that metadata mat involve descriptions, it also reflects alot more than that. I found the tables in the middle of the article was what provided the real clarity I needed to grasp the concept of metadata. My conclusion about this article is quite basic in that metadata is extremely important. But I do wonder in a library setting where is metadata actually stored? It would seem to me that metadata goes well beyond cataloging, so where would one find access to this type of info about info?

2 comments:

Alison said...

I, too, was saved by the tables. Not my preferred lanquage but I do feel like it is important to uderstand as much as possible about the future of information storage/retrieval. I think that one of the problems facing the library science today is that there is now competition within the information sphere...if you have a working knowledge of computers, you probably have access to the same information as librarians. I think librarians need to know even more now, about all aspects of information, in order to be able to filter what is readliy available to everyone.

Domenic Sorace said...

I'm with you Nate. This week's readings were a bit on the rough side and I'm relying on some visual interpretation in the lecture to help me out here. The information was good... the wording could've be better.